Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Someone who speaks my language- C-L-E-A-N!

WOW! Had the new cleaning crew- well, mini-crew of 2 nice Polish ladies who really knew how to clean...so happy! I feel like this white-plaster-dust has been lifted off my shoulders- or at least every other square inch of my house.

It s such a beautiful thing to witness, after so long under the mire of dingy floors and furniture. Now, all I have to do is slow-cook the dog who slept on the front sofa! ONE day, just one single day without the furry beasts ruining it all for me...I think that is why I love going ANYWHERE for vacation- no dogs to walk, clean up after- fuzz in my mouth...I'm sort of anesthetized to it while I'm home, but once you go somewhere and then come back to it...ugh, you realize how much it grates on your, or at least my, "clean" nerve.

You all know the about the different nerves in your body- don't you? For example, there is the "toilet paper roll hanging the wrong way- (because it should always cascade delicately over the top of the roll)" nerve, and the "Why couldn't the paper towel roll be replace with a new one" nerve, and one of my favorite pressure points, the "tripping on the boat-sized shoes which should be removed and left at the door- thank you but I don't need a broken ankle today" nerve.

Of course, none of that stuff TRULY matters- really, it's just a gripe for me to vent about. What really matters is how this unbelievably wealthy country has people starving, homeless, struggling just to survive with a gaggle of kids and no home to have them sleep in. My husbear called me from his office this morning to tell me that as he was leaving this morning- he saw a mother and her two kids awaking from under a tree in the park behind our home.

My defense mechanism immediately kicks in and tries to justify why they are there:

"Well, maybe one of her kids wakes up super early, so they were in the park from early on and got tired, so they laid down to take a rest and he just saw them getting up from a nap.

"My sister-in-law (who hasn't slept in 4 years), has at times has been out of the house with her daughter really early because they are up so early, so it could just be like that"

No matter how I could make out a different scenario- the grim reality is this: Homelessness exists everywhere....I mean, everywhere. Even if you live in some quaint little suburb anywhere across the nation- there is always going to be that one person outside of the pharmacy selling a Streetwise, or that person at the traffic light with a sign and a cup asking for a handout. Whether or not you make a contribution to that person's cause or not- it isn't something that can be ignored- because it simply will not go away by doing so.

Lets not forget to be generous to our fellow humans- I try, at least, to give someone the benefit of the doubt. If you don't donate some money to a favorite cause or charity (human or animal)- or the person on the corner at the light, at the local storefront- pick something that you believe in, and give a little to sponsor it....and if you don't- it's time that you did.
EZ



No comments: