Wednesday, June 6, 2007

The 2-1/2 year old slayer

So last night Steve (aka Dah-dee) was putting P to bed, and through his montage of characters who "...love P", came down to me, mommy, and it went pretty much like this:

Dah-dee: ".....grandma & grandpa love you, and mommy loves you..."
P: "...no, mommy doesn't love me..."
Dah-dee: "Oh, that's not true, why do you say that?"
P: "Because I don't like mommy"
Dah-Dee: "You don't like mommy? Why don't you like mommy? She loves you very much!"
P: "No, I don't love mommy, mommy doesn't like me, I don't like mommy."

So he calls me into her bedroom, and has her repeat what they have talked about. I was devastated and somewhat appallingly humored all at the same time- I mean, she's only 2-1/2, she probably isn't totally cognisant of the words she is using- but then again, they were going through the list of people; cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc...and she pretty much loves everyone except me and the dog (Sunny). I can understand the dog- he is totally psycho, and the consensus around here is that neither kid likes him- and I'm on the fence with our weirdo love/hate relationship- between me and the dog that is. See below, the psycho photo for yourself...I nearly lost a finger just picking him up for the photo- can you say CUCKOO?

But, me? Her own mother? Her daily provider of noodles and tushie pinches? Her tea-party pal and constant connoisseur of prepared plastic foods? How could she betray me like that? Could she remember the days of distress (over the choice of name we gave her) that my parents put me through while I was still in the hospital with her? Could she harbor that anguish and translate it into negative feelings toward herself??? So many questions.

I asked her again this morning if she loves me, shaking her head, she still said no- albeit her sheepish grin...I couldn't help but repeat the fact that I love her more than the sun and higher than the stars and asked her if she understands, and with a grin and a nod, she said yes.

Ah, the little schizos that they are at this prime toddler age- it's a miracle they don't run the world- or do they??
EZ

5 comments:

American Girl said...

Does she love me?

Elizabeth K.Z. said...

I JUST asked, and it's a blanket YES for you, Mark and Kate...you're in the loop! Thanks for reading my insanity that is my life...

Dina said...

avery already chooses rick over me, when he is around. we tried sitting next to eachother, and having her make the choice...stupid. that is one way to make you feel horrible. at least my son love me, who cares if he is a mamma's boy. he loves to love his mamma.

P said...

just keep lavishing her with it!

reminds me of when i was little and i told my dad that we weren't going to be friends any more. he took it as a personal affront that i would have the sheer audacity to say such a think instead of look inside himself for why i would say it.

i brace myself for the moments of, "i love you, mama, but i don't like you right now." stay strong!

P said...

ah, the old oedipal/electra complex. baby girls love their daddies, and little boys love their mamas.